Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Be not afraid to entertain strangers...

So I was standing at the counter getting all my ingredients for my homemade chili together when the door opened. I did not look because I thought that my son had gotten the time he had to be at work wrong and that he was coming back home. Nope. Not him. I turned around to see a strange man standing in my doorway. He was in his late 40's to early 50's I would guess and looked like he wasn't sure where he was. He said "I think I'm in the wrong place." I left the kitchen and went to the door where he was turning to leave. I wondered if I could help him. He said he was looking for a place that had the same colors as our house and some apartments near it. I directed him down the street where there are duplexes and such. As he went to turn away I smelled what I thought was an alcohol smell. I feel bad for this man. He seemed sad and lost. When I went back to making dinner, I thought how different this could have been. He could have come in violently and hurt us, but he didn't. I could have reacted in fear, but I didn't. God's peace was in my home and in my heart. I had compassion for him. I thought that I'd wished to remember to share Jesus love with him. I thought about inviting him in for something to eat or drink. I thought about how differently I might have responded in other circumstances. I thought about how Hebrews 13:1 says to entertain strangers because they might be angels in disguise. I thought about how the Lord has changed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment