Monday, March 1, 2010

Jesus and the woman accused...

This morning I was crying and talking with God. He pointed out to me the story of the woman in John 8 who was brought before Jesus by the religious leaders. 3 Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery, making her stand in the center. 4 "Teacher," they said to Him, "this woman was caught in the act of committing adultery. 5 In the law Moses (H) commanded us to stone such women. So what do You say?" 6 They asked this to trap Him, in order that they might have evidence to accuse Him.

Jesus stooped down and started writing on the ground with His finger. 7 When they persisted in questioning Him, He stood up and said to them, "The one without sin among you should be the first to throw a stone at her."

8 Then He stooped down again and continued writing on the ground. 9 When they heard this, they left one by one, starting with the older men. Only He was left, with the woman in the center. 10 When Jesus stood up, He said to her, " Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

11 "No one, Lord," [a] she answered.

"Neither do I condemn you," said Jesus. "Go, and from now on do not sin any more."

Like the woman, I was being accused for my rebellion. I have been disobedient and willful and have rejected His standards for my own. I have pushed and prodded and gotten my way even though I know it will hurt me in the end. I have been outside of His divine authority and out from under His protection and I have hurt myself and those around me with my sin. I deserved what I was accused of. The price for sin is death. (Romans 3:23 and Romans 6:23). But My God had another plan!!!! He paid the price to set me free (John 3:16)!!!! I didn't have to bear the shame and punishment I deserved (Romans 6:10) so I can live (Romans 6:11). God spoke to me this morning words of comfort. He wiped my tears and told me He loved me.

What the Spirit spoke to me was this: I stand between you and your accusers. Then it seemed as if He turned to them and said Let He who is without sin cast the first stone. Then He turned to me and said Are there any left? Go and sin no more. I realized this morning what Jesus did for this woman, He does for me when my enemy comes at me from every direction lying to me and beating up with all my faults and with his slimy condemnation. And though I am guilty and caught in the things that the devil accuses me of, the Bible says that I have been cleansed of my sin when I repent (1 John 1:9) and that I am made the righteousness of God (Romans 3) and that there is no condemnation in Him (Romans 8).

Because of Who He Is and because He chose me (John 15:16) I can go and sin no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment